Monday, December 20, 2010

Three Pianos

The year concludes with Three Pianos at NY Theatre Workshop (my review's here). A zany/loving whirlwind tour of Schubert's Winterreise song cycle, the piece seriously extends its welcome: It clocked in at nearly 2hrs 15 the night I saw it. Not a problem in itself, but one when the creators/cast run out of ideas.

Completely unrelated: watched Johnnie To's Vengeance last night. Glorious. The movie stars French-Belgian rocker Johnny Halliday (who's good), but actor-wise the big draw is Anthony Wong, whom HK-action fiends know from his turn in Infernal Affairs.

2 comments:

Luke N. Atmaguchi said...

Johnnie To is always welcome, as is his trusty ensemble. Was it the name "Francois Costello" that made me associate Johnny Halliday's character with Frank Costanza? How fortunate that To hasn't pulled a John Woo and gone Hollywood. I'm still liking his '08 pickpocket movie Sparrow the best of all.

Elisabeth Vincentelli said...

Ooh I haven't seen that one. Must try to check it out. And I totally agree about To not going to Hollywood.