Sunday, February 24, 2008

French laurels

Once again, the French film awards aka the Césars have showered praise on an "auteur" movie by giving best film, best director and best script to Abdellatif Kechiche and his La graine et le mulet. (Remember that Pascale Ferran's Lady Chatterley had won last year.) I'd loved Kechiche's previous movie, L'Esquive (Games of Love and Chance in English), which displayed one of the most dazzling uses of the French language I'd ever seen; startingly, it had also won the top prizes at the Césars, launching the ongoing trend of crowning decidedly arty movies.

Unsurprisingly, Marion Cotillard won best actress for La vie en rose, a feat she may repeat at the Oscars Sunday night as the current common "wisdom," if you can call it that, holds that Julie Christie is too old to win. It's an insane reasoning and now I'm torn because I'd like Christie to win just to shut up the hatas and of course I'd love my homegirl to get rewarded as well. In the meantime, you can see Marion accepting her César from Alain Delon here. Unfortunately the video gets cut off at 2:25 but we get the gist.

No comments: